Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
- Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
He’ll play hookey this evening, and I’ll just be obleeged to make him work tomorrow, to punish him. It’s mighty hard to make him work Saturdays, when all the boys is having holiday, but he hates work more than he hates anything else, and I’ve got to do some of my duty by him, or I’ll be the ruination of the child.”
- Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
I chose these two lines because:
1) I am tickled pink by how “evening” is Southwestern for afternoon. Who knew?
2) The spelling – phonetic spelling? – of obleeged. LOL It just strikes me as funny.
3) This is from one of the longest monologues I’ve ever read. As a way to do exposition, establish the aunt’s character, and her and Tom’s relationship, I guess it’s pretty good.
- Really Really Annoyed With Gutenberg (storytreasury.wordpress.com)